Friday, December 21, 2012

"Mark My Footsteps My Dear Child"

Whenever I couldn't remember the exact words to a song I would make them up. This was not real problem unless I was singing with other people. However, this did make it difficult for my children because they were familiar with the words I put to the song and were confused when others sang the same song in a different way.

Recently I went to a friend's house for a carol sing. One of the songs we sang was, "Good King Wenceslas." It's a fun song to sing. There was one verse in the song that stuck in my head. It stuck in my head slightly altered from it's original form.

"Father, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how,
        I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, my dear child
      Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
  Freeze thy blood less coldly."

As I have sung my version of this song I have thought about my parents. When I was a child I thought they simply did what came naturally. I know better now. Now I know that the decisions they made were guided by their choice to follow in Jesus' footsteps. I have been blessed beyond measure by their example and I pray that my children will be able to find shelter from the winter's rage by following me as well.

Lord Jesus, this Christmas I thank You again for humbling Yourself and coming to us in human form. Thank you for leaving us not only footsteps to follow but for giving us Your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment