Saturday, December 31, 2016

On the Last Day of the Year

Every year I read through the Bible. When I come to the last day of the year my heart beats a little faster as I read the words of Malachi, the last book of the Old Testament. The prophet speaks of the great and awesome day of the Lord. "For indeed, the day is coming, burning like a furnace, when all the arrogant and everyone who commits wickedness will become stubble. The coming day will consume them root and branches. But for you who fear My name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings..." (Malachi 4:1,2).  These words remind me of what Zechariah said concerning the birth of Jesus, "because of the tender mercies of our God, whereby the sunrise shall visit us from on high" (Luke 1:78). And in Jesus the morning light from heaven broke upon us, inviting those who would to seek shelter beneath his wings, receiving salvation from the wrath of God that would be poured out upon the wicked.

The last Psalm begins and ends with the word, "Hallelujah!" As I read this last Psalm I feel as if the curtains of heaven are pulled back and my heart is filled with the music of trumpets. I hear the harp and the lyre all playing songs of praise. I feel within me my spirit laughing and dancing with joy at the sounds of the tambourine and the resounding cymbals; the praise of the clashing cymbals!
Everything that has breath is praising God in His sanctuary. In the sheer beauty of praise I see Him in His mighty heavens. I am overwhelmed with praise for His powerful acts and His abundant greatness. My heart joins with all of creation as I cry out Hallelujah!

Now I read the last verse in the book of Proverbs and pray with all that is within me that this verse can be spoken of me, "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised. Give her the reward of her labor, and let her works praise her at the city gates" (Proverbs 31:30-31). The tears burn in my eyes as I read these last words from the book of wisdom and my heart cries out, "Oh Lord, may the works of my hands and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Your sight!"

Now I come to the last chapter in this love letter from God. "Then he showed me the river of living water, sparkling like crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the broad street of the city. On both sides of the river was the tree of life bearing 12 kinds of fruit, producing its fruit every month." Even as I read these words I am reminded of Jesus crying out, "If anyone is thirsty, he should come to Me and drink! The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living waters flow from deep within him." Jesus broke the curse and now we are free to drink living water and eat from the tree of life. Then come the final words of the book, "He who testifies about these things says, 'Yes, I am coming quickly.' Amen! Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen" (Revelation 22:20,21).

Tomorrow I will begin my day by reading, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment