Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Meditations of a Pregnant Woman at Christmastime

I remember just sitting there staring into the mirror.

The year was 1988. It was Christmas time and I was nine months pregnant. I was also exhausted. Staring into mirror, I wondered how on earth was I supposed to do it all? It was hard enough to carry out my basic responsibilities without the added pressure that Christmas brings a mother of young children. So there I sat, staring at myself and complaining to God.

I groaned when I thought about how uncomfortable the forty-five minute car ride to church would be. And that's when it happened. Suddenly, sitting there, I began to think about Mary as she prepared to leave home and begin the long journey between Nazareth and Bethlehem.  A journey that could possibly take up to four days and be ninety miles long.

Nine months earlier Gabriel had come to her with the message that she would give birth to the Son of the Most High. But there were a lot of details that were not included. Like, for instance, at the time when Gabriel appeared to Mary she didn't know that the birth of the Son of God wasn't a public announcement. What she was told, however, was that she was not to be afraid because she had found favor with God.

Gabriel told Mary that God would give her son the throne of His father David and that He would reign over the house of Jacob forever; and His kingdom would have no end. However, there was no mention of the fact that, when the time came for Mary to give birth in David's hometown, the only place available would be a stable surrounded by animals.

Sitting there, staring into the mirror, my heart began to rejoice because I realized that the same promise that had been given to Mary so long ago had been given to me as well. I heard echoing in my heart and spirit the words of Gabriel, "Rejoice, favored woman! The Lord is with you." There are so many details of my life that I don't know or understand, but when I meditate on this promise that the Lord is with me, my soul magnifies the Lord and my heart rejoices in God my Savior.


No comments:

Post a Comment