Thursday, November 14, 2013

Choosing a Life Based on Mystery

"By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen has been made from the things that are not visible."(Hebrews 11:3) There is mystery. I belong to a world that I can experience with my five senses but I also belong to another world. One world I see with my physical eye the other is not visible except by faith.

In the physical world Able's voice was silenced when he was murdered by his brother Cain. Yet, because he saw beyond the temporal to the eternal he offered his sacrifice to God and he was approved as a righteous man.  Even though he is dead he still speaks because God approved his gift of faith.

The warning came, to see not with physical eyes but with eyes of faith. He responded with reverence. He acted on not what he saw but what he believed. Noah built an ark to deliver his family. "By this he condemned the world and became an heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."(Hebrews 11:7)

He was called and he responded. He didn't know where he was going but he trusted the One who was leading him. He stayed as a foreigner in the land of promise, he stayed there by faith. "He was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose architect and builder is God." (Hebrew 11:10)

I choose to live my life based on this mystery. By faith I understand that the world I see was spoken into being by the breath of the Spirit of God. I ,like Able, by faith recognize a lamb was sacrificed for my righteousness. Like Noah I too have heard the warning. By faith I understand the promise given to Abraham that though he was in the world he was not of the world. By faith I choose to to not throw away my confidence in the things I can't see because I hear the voice of God saying, "For in yet a very little while, the Coming One will come and not delay. But My righteous one will live by faith; and if he draws back, My soul has no pleasure in Him."(Hebrews 10-38)




No comments:

Post a Comment