Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Potentate Of Time

I didn't want to be late for work so I kept checking the time. When I realized the time was drawing near for me to leave I put my cell phone on the table to help me keep track of the time. I gave myself a full hour to get to work even though I knew it was only a forty five minute drive. When I got to work my boss pointed out that I was an hour late. My phone had switched time zones. It had the strangest effect on me. I almost felt dizzy, as if I had been time traveling.

The Sunday following this event we sang “Crown Him With Many Crowns” the last verse of the song says, “Crown Him the Lord of years, the Potentate of time.” I was fascinated by the idea of God being the Lord of the years and the Potentate of time. So what does Potentate mean? It means one who has supreme power and position to rule over others. God is eternal and time is a tool in His hand but how does that effect my life?

Daniel was a godly man who lived his life in the confines of time. He lived during the time of the Babylonia captivity. God, who is not bound by time, showed Daniel through many vision and mysteries things that were to take place in the future. The first time this happened Daniel responded, “Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning.” Daniel 2:20 In Daniel I find a man who was bold and brave because although he was bond by time the God he served was not.

“As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat.” Daniel 7:9 Daniel saw this picture of God as the Ancient of Days in the same dream that he received night vision from God showing him the scope and sequence of Kingdoms and Empires that were to rise and fall throughout the course of history. Again, I ask the question, how does this effect my life?

Lord Jesus, it is in You that I find understanding because though I am a prisoner of time you are not, yet You entered time and set me free. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning...The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.” John 1 Thank You, Lord Jesus for though You were the Creator You entered time and became my Redeemer.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for pointing out that we are not bound to our own timeline. Sometimes, I look at the things I should be doing or should have done, and I compare myself to those around me who have accomplished so much. The idea of viewing myself on God's timeline, and how even my small actions are being used by him, ahhh... Sovereign Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetіngs frοm Floriԁa! Ι'm bored at work so I decided to check out your site on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you provide here and can't ωаit to take
    a look when I get homе. I'm shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not
    eѵen usіng WIFӏ, јuѕt 3G ..
    Anyhow, grеаt blog!

    kate dircksen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right here is the perfect blog for anybody who wants to find out
    about this topic. You understand so much its almost tough to
    argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put
    a fresh spin on a subject which has been discussed for decades.

    Wonderful stuff, just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this site is
    actually nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thee whole thing is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts,
    that's really excellent, keep upp writing.

    ReplyDelete