Sunday, September 11, 2016

Peace When Your World Unravels

It all began with a negative thought no more significant than a tiny thread. But in the same way that a whole garment can become unraveled by pulling on a loose thread, my world felt like it was being ripped apart. Insignificant worries gave way to significant worries. My lack of control over personal concerns deepened into a world that felt as if it was spinning out of control.

I wanted and needed to change the direction of my thoughts, so I closed my physical eyes and opened the eyes of my spirit. I chose to meditate on the One who made everything; who stretched out the heavens by Himself; who alone spread out the earth. I found comfort in the God who established the earth and fixed its dimensions. I found rest in the strength of the One who supports the foundations of the earth. The God who laid the cornerstone while the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy!

My mind and soul and spirit was bathed in the light of His majesty and splendor. There was no room for any other thought as I meditated on the God who measured the waters in the hollow of His hand and marked off the heavens with the span of His hand. He brings out the starry hosts by number; He calls all of them by name. Because of His great power and strength, not one of them is missing. He is the everlasting God, the Creator of the whole earth, and He knows my name.

This is the same God to whom wisdom and power belongs. He is able to change times and seasons; He removes kings and establishes kings. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals the deep and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with Him. Though He is the Almighty Lord of the Universe, He is also a loving Father. Even as a father stoops down to hear the voice of his child, in the same way my heavenly father has invited me to pour out my heart to Him in  prayer.

I know that sometimes the earth trembles and that there have been times when the mountains have toppled into the depths of the sea. The waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with its turmoil. Nations rage, kingdoms topple; and war brings devastation to the earth. It is in times like these when my world seems to be unraveling that I hear the voice of the Spirit speak to my spirit, "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be your refuge and strength, a helper who is always found in times of trouble. Do not be afraid."

Job 38, Isaiah 40, Daniel 2, Psalm 46

No comments:

Post a Comment