Friday, September 23, 2011

What makes a person valuable or significant?

Do I have value am I significant? This is a question that often comes to my mind and I don't think I'm alone. When I was growing up I dreamed of doing great things for God. I listened to a radio program called,"Hero's of Faith". I was determined that one day I would be included in that lineup. Looking back I recognize that part of my desire was to be seen as valuable and significant.

What makes a person valuable? I read in Psalm 139, "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there were none of them."

Where can I find my significance? "Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved. and God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus...For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:4-10

I see this illustrated when the disciples encountered the man who was blind from birth and they asked, Who sinned this man or his parents that he was born blind?" Jesus told them that this blindness was not a result of sin but so that the glory of God could be displayed. Surely, God does not count value the way we do. I again read in I Corinthians 1:26-31 "God chose what is foolish in this world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing the things that are... "

Again I ask my self how can I know if I have value or significance? I find my answer in God's word, "Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you... everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." Isaiah 43:4-7 I find my significance and value when I by grace do the works God planned in advance for me to do, sometimes by simply offering to Him my weakness to be a place where His glory can be displayed.

Lord Jesus, in your love I find who I really am. Help me see other through your eyes as well.

2 comments:

  1. oh wow. what perspective. i don't think i'd ever really equated the things that happened to me in my life to the man who was born blind in order to bring glory to God. i guess i'd understood them to be a part of MY story, and of my outreach, but not that they were a part of GOD'S story... and that's a much more powerful thing to be a part of. wow. just... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it
    up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site () to
    come back down the road. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete