Friday, January 9, 2015

No Fear in Love

It was the eve of a new year and I could feel the thick moist presence of fear. I was held captive and felt smothered as the darkness of my room became like a theater for the nightmare thoughts that paraded through my mind. The flickering tongue of fear painted a grim future not only for me but for all those I hold dear. I found myself involuntarily worshiping at the altar of this specter because the thing I give that much power to causes me to bow my knees. Realizing that on my own I was inadequate for this battle, I cried out to one who is stronger than myself.

How does fear cripple and torment its victims? Fear punishes those held captive by it in the same way a blackmailer shames the one whose secrets he holds. The debt that hovers constantly with the reminder that there are insufficient funds, the guilt that stains the memories, the failure that not only caused personal pain but hurts all those we love - these are fear's implements of torture.

Though the wrestling lasted much of the night, with the first rays of the dawn came the voice of truth. "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear." (1 John 4:18)  Just as light dispels the darkness, fear cannot abide in the presence of love. Love found me and I stepped away from the shadow of darkness and ran towards the shadow of the Almighty. Enveloped by the Spirit of truth, I bowed in adoration. Just as I had found in Him my hiding place I invited Him to take up residence in my heart.

There is a welcome in God's mercy that silences the voice of fear. Fear like a spider wraps its victim round and round in a sticky thread, but with the voice of thunder the Almighty speaks and sets the captive free. What is God's mercy? What is God's might? The answer can be found in a single word: love. It is this love that paid the debt we owed. It is love that took away our shame and carried it like a cross upon his own back. It is love that entered into our pain so we could enter into his joy.

Love has a name. His name is Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment