Monday, August 31, 2015

For Those Who Thirst

As I listened to the prayer requests I was reminded of a song I learned long ago. "Jesus said, 'Come to the water stand by my side. I know you are thirsting; you will not be denied. I felt every tear drop, when in darkness you cried. And I stove to remind you that for those tears I died.'"

The longest recorded conversation Jesus had with anyone was based around a request for water. But the strange thing is that Jesus was the one who made the request. The woman to whom Jesus said,"Give me a drink," was someone who probably knew the taste of tears. In exchange for a drink from the well he offered her the gift of living water.

That would not be the only time Jesus offered living water. "On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and cried out, 'If anyone is thirsty, he should come to Me and drink! The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of living water flow from deep within him,'" (John 7:37)

"Come, everyone who is thirsty,come to the waters; come you without money, come buy, and eat!" (Isaiah 55:1) The living water that Jesus offered did have a price but it was a price that he paid. On the cross Jesus' s strength was dried up like baked clay; his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth and he cried out, "I thirst!" He experienced physical thirst so that he could offer all who would come to him relief from their spiritual thirst.

"'Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust and will not be afraid; for the LORD God is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation,' With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation." (Isaiah 12:2,3) So for all who are thirsty hear the invitation of Jesus, "Come to the water stand by my side. I know you are thirsting; you will not be denied. I felt every tear drop when in darkness you cried. And I strove to remind you that for those tears I died."

No comments:

Post a Comment