Thursday, February 11, 2016

Remembering

I was only six years old when I first knelt before the priest and heard, "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return." After he said this he took some black ashes and made the sign of the cross on my forehead. I was told not to wipe it off. I could hardly wait to look at my reflection in the mirror. As I stared at myself I repeated in a whisper, "Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return." It was a strange and new thought for me as a young child.

On December 29, 2015, I climbed the stairs with a cup of hot coffee to bring to Bonnie who was spending Christmas with me. I handed her the coffee and then I sat on the edge of the bed as I had done every other morning of her stay and shared with her a devotional I had prepared for the day. I remember what I shared with her that day because I recorded it in my journal. That morning we talked about Genesis 3 where God told Adam, "You are dust and to dust you will return."

We shared a special harmony of thought that morning as we talked about what it would have been like to have God coming into the garden at the time of the evening breeze to have communion with us. And we were both struck by the barrier that rebellion had placed, preventing the fellowship the Creator came to share with His creation.

"Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return." That morning in December we remembered the curse that came when rebellion entered the garden, but we focused on the comfort of the promise. The promise was that one day a savior would come who would strike the head of the serpent and break the curse. The Christmas lights were still lit as we spoke of Jesus who came bringing beauty for ashes.

As I left her room that morning, Bonnie said, "Sarah, do you mind if I just stay here a while before I come downstairs? I just want to think about this." I closed the door aware of the presence of the Spirit of the Lord God who binds up the brokenhearted and proclaims liberty to those who put their trust in His promise. One month later on January 29, 2016, Bonnie died. Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return. But never forget that Jesus came to bring beauty for ashes.


No comments:

Post a Comment