Saturday, June 25, 2016

Anchoring My Attention in Eternity

I was twelve years old when I heard the song for the first song.The song affected me so much I almost swooned. It makes me smile to remember my strong emotional reactions because the song was Yesterday by the Beatles. And to be honest at twelve years of age I really didn't have that many yesterdays to count.

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believed in yesterday

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be 
There's a shadow hanging over me.
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

...
I said somethings wrong now I long for yesterday
....
Now I need a place to place to hide away 
Oh, I believe in yesterday

This is has been a year of change and in many ways a year of loss. It's been the kind of year that makes me look back and remember my yesterdays with a sense of longing. But recently an obscure Bible verse kept coming to mind. It was a instruction on how to deal with the feelings that I was having, "Don't say, 'Why were the former days better than these?' For it is not wise of you to ask" (Ecclesiastes 7:10).

The night after I looked the verse up to find out where it was I had trouble sleeping. I thought about the wisdom of not asking why the former days were better than the days we are living in, and I decided to turn my attention to the name that God gave Moses to call Him, I AM.

As I focused on what it meant to worship I AM, I could feel the knots in my soul begin to untie. I remembered that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. I began to rest in the truth that His steadfast love never failed and His mercy was new every morning. When I anchored my mind, my soul and my spirit in the great I AM, I was ushered before the throne of the Eternal God. With eternity in mind, the thoughts of yesterday found their correct perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! So good talking with you today Sarah. My dad was fond of quoting, "never look back once you take the plow." I'm thankful for many reminders and remembrances when I look back to see God's faithfulness, and love the reminder that He is I AM, always the same. Love you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete