Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Lost Power Cord

"I can't find the power cord!" With those words of panic a cyclone hit my home. It was a rapidly rotating storm with strong emotional winds.

The power cord had been attached to my computer but somehow the two had ended up in different parts of the house. The homework was about to be lost because the battery was dying. If we didn't find the power cord we wouldn't be able to print the work that had been done and all would be lost! Frantic energy was produced by the panic and I watched as my grandson ran from one room to another in a whirl of emotion. I found myself caught up in the intensity of the storm.

Earlier that day I had told my grandson how God had revealed a mystery to Daniel. I had explained to Jack how Daniel had prayed to God seeking understanding that only God could give him. When God answered Daniel's prayers Daniel had praised God by saying, "He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals the deep and hidden things; He knows what is in the darkness, and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:21-23) I had told my grandson that we had access to the same God Daniel did, yet when we couldn't find the power cord I panicked.

In the midst of the crazy I prayed a simple prayer,"Help!" Next, I went to my grandson and reminded him of what we had read that morning. I asked if he would join me in asking the God who reveals the deep and hidden things to show us where the power cord was. To be honest, I was a little nervous. Did I really believe that God cared about such a small matter?

Jack and I prayed together. Then we stood for a few minutes in silence and Jack said, "I think Uncle Dave took the cord." He went onto explain that the last time he'd seen the cord it had been on the same table as Uncle Dave's computer. He thought perhaps Uncle Dave had gathered up my cord when he left.

We found out later that day that Jack was right. We didn't get the cord in time to print off his homework. However, the emotional storm was abated when we experienced the truth that we really do have access to a merciful God who reveals mysteries.




No comments:

Post a Comment