Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Learning to Trust Part 2

I was panting by the time I arrived at my destination. I could see the plane sitting there on the runway. What I didn’t see was anyone at the desk. I glanced around frantically until someone came and asked what I needed. I pointed to the plane and told them that I was supposed to be on it! She turned to look at the plane and then immediately got on the phone. Minutes later she looked up and said, “I’m sorry, you’re too late. You will have to reschedule.”

My mind was suddenly flooded with questions. Would I make it to Florida in time for my speaking engagement? What about the man and his wife who were going to pick me up at the airport and drive me to the conference, how would this effect them? I was also supposed to make contact in Florida with an eighty five year old couple at the baggage claim when I got there, what would happen to them? It was then I heard, “The hidden things belong to the Lord our God. But what is revealed belongs to us and our children” (Deuteronomy 29:29).

The hidden things were all the things that I had no control over. But to whom did these things belong? They belonged to the Lord God. But in that moment of panic I had to stop and ask myself, did I really believe that God was the Lord of my circumstances and the altered circumstances I’d created in the lives of others because of my mistakes?

I thought again about the statement that the hidden things belong to the Lord God and realized that it was the “hidden things” that caused me anxiety--all the tomorrows of my life, the what if’s, the what next. I was reminded of a poem I’d learned as a teenager. “Child of my love, fear not the unknown morrow, dread not the new demands life makes on thee. Thy ignorance doth hold no cause for sorrow. Because what thou knoweth not is known to Me.”

I had time at the airport that day to also think about the second part of Deuteronomy 29:29. What was revealed? In the 29th chapter of Deuteronomy God points out that for the forty years in the wilderness neither their clothes nor their shoes had worn out. I wondered if they noticed? It reminded me of the sermon on the mountain when Jesus encouraged His followers not be afraid of tomorrow but instead consider how God cared for the birds of the air and the flowers of the field. As I sat waiting for my rescheduled flight I chose to relinquish the things I had no control over and instead turn my attention to the many blessings God had given me. As I did my breathing slowed and I felt at peace. My plans for that day were altered, but I don’t think I altered God’s plan. I think He wanted to teach me to sink a little bit deeper into what it means to trust Him

No comments:

Post a Comment