Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Perfect Prayer

The man ran up, and knelt at Jesus feet. What a beautiful picture. Then came his prayer, “Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus listed six of the ten commands. He responded by saying that he had kept all theses from his youth. After he said this Jesus was looking at him and loved him. Can you just imagine with me for one moment what it would be like to have Jesus looking at you that way? But was this the perfect prayer?

Jesus told the rich man that he lacked just one thing and to go and sell all he had and give to the poor. When he said this I think he was pointing to the first commandment. “You shall have no other gods before Me.” I think that the young man was stunned and went away grieving because Jesus had shown him his heart. I think that he sincerely wanted to be good. Jesus had already told him that no one is good but One—God. Now, Jesus had pointed out that even though he wanted to do something to inherit eternal life he was worshiping at the alter of wealth. I think he was stunned because at the feet of Jesus he saw into his own heart for the first time.

Peter was quick to respond that he and the apostles had left everything to follow Jesus. As they continued on their journey those who had left everything began to discuss what they would gain for their sacrifice. They came to Jesus with a request saying,”Teacher, we want you to do something for us if we ask you.” Jesus responded by saying, “What do you want me to do for you?”

Sometimes when I’m praying I picture myself with Jesus and I think about him asking me, “What do you want me to do for you?” John and James responded by asking to sit at Jesus’ left and right in his glory. Like the rich young ruler they to were thinking about eternal life and their prayer revealed their hearts. Jesus didn’t rebuke them but he did say that they didn’t know what they were asking for. They accepted Jesus’ invitation to ask him for what they wanted him to do for them. But was this the perfect prayer?

Finally, we come to a man lost in the crowd, a blind beggar, sitting by the side of the road. He heard that Jesus was passing by. He couldn’t get to him because of the crowd and because he was blind. He did the only thing he could, he began to cry out to Jesus for mercy. He was getting on people’s nerves so they told him to be quiet! But he just kept on crying out for mercy.

Jesus stopped and called for the bind man. Unlike the rich young ruler who was unable to give up his possessions to follow Jesus the bind beggar threw off his coat when Jesus called him. Jesus asked the blind man the same thing he’d asked James and John, “What do you want me to do for you?” He asked for sight.

So what is the perfect prayer? I believe it is the cry for mercy. It’s the prayer of the heart that he will do for us what we cannot do for ourselves. I believe when he cried out “Rabbouni, I want to see.” That he received more than physical sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment