Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Seeing the Cross Through a Prophetic Lens (Mark 15:22-36)

“Why did the Gentiles rage, and the peoples plot futile things? The kings of the earth took their stand, and the rulers assembled together against the Lord and against His Messiah, saying, ‘Let us tear off their chains and free ourselves from their restraint’” (Psalm 2:1-3). By nine in the morning in the city of Jerusalem, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, had assembled together against Jesus; Jesus, who God the Father had declared to be His beloved son in whom He took delight.

In “The Psalm of the Cross” we hear through prophetic voice the words of Jesus when He cried, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me” (Psalm 22:1)? In this Psalm we hear the voice of Him who was adored by angels cry, “Everyone who sees me mocks me; they sneer and shake their heads: ‘He relies on the Lord; let Him rescue him, since He takes pleasure in him’” (Psalm 22:7,8).

Through this prophetic Psalm we not only hear the prayers that Christ cried out from the cross, but we hear the cruel mocking, the scornful ridicule of those who shot out their lips and wagged their heads at Him. In His agony He was surrounded by derisive laughter. As the Saviour hung with His arms wide open. Priest and people, Jews and Gentiles, soldiers and civilians, all united to ridicule Him as He hung dying.

Though the gospel writers don’t go into details of the excruciating pain that Jesus suffered, “The Psalm of the Cross” does. “I am poured out like water, and all my bones are disjointed; my heart is like wax, melting within me. My strength is dried up like baked clay; my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth... They pierce my hands and my feet” (Psalm 22:14-16). The Psalm goes on to to tell us, “People look and stare at me. They divided my garments among themselves, and they cast lots for my clothing” (Psalm 22:17,18) *The first Adam made us all naked, and therefore the second Adam became naked that he might clothe our naked souls.

“Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:4,5). Sometimes to understand what you are looking at you have to see it through the prophetic lens of Scripture.

*The Treasury of David by Charles H. Spurgeon 



No comments:

Post a Comment