Thursday, January 2, 2014

Quieted

The sounds of panic were deafening. My hands hung limp and bloody from having the reins that I had wrapped around my hands ripped from them. I could almost taste the fear that came from knowing that no matter how hard I tried the truth was I wasn't the one in control.

Pray, I need to pray. How do I start my prayer when I feel so overwhelmed? I reached into the bag that I carry my Bible in and found a crumpled piece of paper. On it I read, "Do not fear, O Zion; do not let you hands hang limp. The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."(Zeph. 3: 16,17)

I have been trying to learn this lesson for a long time, there is power in praise. When I begin to feel overwhelmed by my inadequacy that is when I need to remind myself that the Lord my God is with me and He is mighty to save. I do this by praising Him. When I lift my heart, my eyes, my voice to God in praise I find that I am delighting in Him.

As I choose to delight in Him I realize to my amazement that He takes great delight in me! Suddenly, I am blanketed by peace and the deafening sirens of panic are silenced. Overshadowed by his love a deep since of quiet enters my soul. From my heart that has been silenced by love I begin to hear music. While I was singing songs of praise to Him He responded by rejoicing over me with singing.

Father, I lift my hands to You in praise. They are no longer hanging limp because of fear. Thank You for teaching me that when I lift my voice to You in praise I find that You are mighty to save. Thank You for allowing me to hear Your songs of love in the quiet that Your peace brings.

1 comment: