Monday, January 6, 2014

Thirty Years Ago

This morning I climbed the stairs and went to my bookshelves and looked until I found the photo album and the "The Happy Birthday Keepsake." Today is my son's thirtieth birthday. I looked at the picture of the first time I held him and let the memories wash over me.

Before Andrew was born I was given a book called, "The Happy Birthday Keepsake." I filled in the pages for the first twelve years of his life. As I read through the "Highlights of the year" I relived what it was like to watch this little boy become a man.

One of the gifts I gave Andrew for his birthday this year has been a collection of "Ebeneezer Stones" or "Stones of Remembrance." The Bible speaks of these stones as a monument that the children of Israel were to make so that they could look at them and remember what God had already done for them and then gain strength to face their new challenges.

As a thirty year old man my son faces many challenges. The twelfth "Stone of Remembrance" I sent him said; "God opened doors, He shut doors. He is sovereign. He hasn't changed. He is still opening and shutting doors to direct your path. Do not be afraid. Trust Him with your whole heart, rest in Him. Do what He has given you to do, He is worthy of your trust. He already knows what He has planned for you even if it is hidden from your view. Think back at how He has been directing your path. There is a work for you to accomplish in your generation. It is His work. A holy assignment He planned for you before the foundation of the world."

Father, be with my son today. As he looks into the unknown with the new challenges that his tomorrows bring let him find rest in the truth that You who have brought him to this place of testing and will lead him through to the destination You have chosen for him. Give him courage for the future and remind him, "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." May my son say with the writer of Lamentations, "The Lord is my portion therefore I will hope in Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment