Thursday, June 19, 2014

Where Light Shines Out of Darkness

There have been times I have felt like the darkness would suffocate me. I have known seasons in my life when there were so many layers of darkness that the eyes of my heart were blinded. I have sat with my friends weeping in the pitch blackness of night when there seemed to be no hope of dawn. Because I have experienced deep darkness I can bear witness to the light. I have known the One who is the light of men. "That light shines in the darkness, yet the darkness did not overcome it." (John 1:5)

The tabernacle did not have a solid ceiling instead there were four large canopies draped over the top that hung down the north, west, and south sides. No outside light could penetrate the thickness of this covering. But within this Holy Place there was light. The light that illuminated the darkness shown from the Golden Lampstand. The Lampstand was the only source of light in the Holy Place.

The light that shines in the darkness represents Jesus Christ. "Then Jesus spoke to them again: 'I am the light of the world. Anyone who follows Me will never walk in the darkness but will have the light of life.'" (John 8:12) "For God, who said, 'Light shall shine out of darkness'--He has shone in our hearts to give the light of knowledge of God's glory in the face of Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:6)

I am grateful for the light that darkness cannot overcome. This picture of the Golden Lampstand giving light to the Holy Place gives me great comfort. This tabernacle is a shadow of Heavenly things. This Golden Lampstand reminded me of the promise I find in the last chapter of the book of Revelation. "They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. Night will no longer exist, and people will not need lamplight or sunlight, because the Lord God will give them light."

Lord Jesus, I wait with great anticipation when I will see Your face and night will be no more but for today I thank You that no darkness is ever so great that Your light is unable to penetrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment