Thursday, June 12, 2014

Reflections at Bronze Laver

Before the door of the Holy Place there stood the Bronze Laver. Only priests were allowed to enter the Holy place but not before they washed at the Bronze Laver "lest they die," (Exodus 30:20) There was to be no trace of uncleanness in the presence of a Holy God. The command was, "Be holy as I am holy." In the courtyard there was cleansing both by blood and by water, the blood shed by the sacrifice at the Bronze Alter and the water used for washing in the Bronze Laver.

The Bronze Laver was a place of reflection. It was made by the mirrors given by the Israelite women. When the priests dipped their hands into the water they saw themselves. They had already been anointed and consecrated by Moses yet at the Bronze Laver they were to wash their hands and feet. This was a daily cleansing for those who had been chosen for a holy work. At the Bronze Laver they were  to reflect on every thing they did and every where they went and cleanse themselves with the water they found there.

The water in the laver represents Jesus, the living Word of God. Daily we are to come to the water of life the living Word of God and reflect. We are not only to hear God's word, we are to act on it. "For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing." (James 1:23-25)

"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put my spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep my judgement and do them." (Ezek 36:25-27) The Jewish leaders were pouring water from the pool of Siloam (Heb. Sent) onto the pavement of the temple symbolizing that someday God would pour out real water from heaven on His people as He had promised by His prophet Ezekiel when Jesus stood and cried, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink." (John 7:38) Only those who were washed by the blood and the Lamb and cleansed with living water could go into the presence of a Holy God.

Lord Jesus, because You came to me I can come to You. I believe You are the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world and by You blood I have been been forgiven. I come daily, to Your living Word. Daily I reflect not only on who I am but who You are and like the woman at the well I have come to drink the Living Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment