Thursday, March 10, 2016

Like a Little Child

The words have become like a soundtrack always playing in the background of my mind.

"Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I do not get involved with things too great or difficult for me. Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself like a little weaned child with its mother; I am like a little child" (Psalm 131:1,2).

I wake in the night haunted by situations beyond my control; and, like a little child, I call out to my Heavenly Father. In humility I acknowledge the fear that woke me is too great, too difficult for me. So, like a little child who is confident of her father's love, I turn my attention to the power of His love. I quiet and calm myself in the light of His presence and find rest for my soul.

This soundtrack that I hear as I journey along is a song of ascents. As I listen to this psalm with childlike faith, I am reminded of the words of Moses to the children of Israel as they made their ascent from Egypt to the Promised land, "So I said to you; Don't be terrified or afraid of them! The Lord your God who goes before you will fight for you, just as you saw Him do for you in Egypt. And you saw in the wilderness how the Lord your God carried you as a man carries his son all along the way you traveled until you reached this place" (Deuteronomy 1:29-31). I am often frightened on this pilgrimage until I am reminded that I am invited to childlike faith in a God who goes before me and is able to carry me all the way home.

"O Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forevermore" (Psalm 131:3). This theme song constantly playing in my mind only has three verses, and this last verse again reminds me of childlike faith. When Jesus' disciples argued about who was the greatest, He took a child and brought him into their midst and held that child in His arms while He taught about what it means to be great in His kingdom.

Another day has begun. I recognize that today I face challenges that seem too big for me. If my confidence was based in my own abilities I would be overwhelmed by fear. But my soul is calmed and quieted within me as I anchor my hope in the love and promises of my Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment