Monday, August 1, 2016

Rejoicing in the Storm

I stepped out onto my porch and looked up into the thick darkness of the storm. It was a darkness that I not only saw but felt. Suddenly the heavens resounded with the crashing, booming sound of thunder. Then lightning lit up the world. The wind was so strong it caused the trees to bow. There was power in the storm. But instead of frightening me, the storm caused me to feel a deep sense of peace.

This has been a tumultuous year for me. I have often felt like I was in the middle of a powerful storm. In contrast to its power, I have felt my own vulnerability. At the height of the storm I sought and found refuge in the shelter of the Almighty. The darkness, the booming voice of the thunder, the bright flashes of lightning, caused me to flee for refuge and find strong encouragement to seize the hope that was set before me. As the storm raged around me, I found that my soul had found a sure and firm anchor.

When I am in a safe place, the the sounds of a storm around are transformed from frightening sounds into peaceful sounds. I am reminded of what Job said, "Listen carefully to the thunder of God's voice as it rolls from his mouth." The lightning that illumines the darkness comes at the Almighty's command. From my place of refuge I see the storms in my life as a display of His power.

I have learned to rejoice in the storms because by faith I can see the power of God at work. Sheltered by His love I have learned to endure the stormy nights that seemed to never end. I also found that as I sought refuge in His presence I have been changed. Experiencing God while the wind howled and the rain came relentlessly, my hope grew.

I have not been disappointed by hope because even as the heavens pour out rain I have felt the love of God being poured out into my heart. In the midst of the storm I have encounter the power of the Holy Spirit of God. So, as I see the dark clouds gather and I begin to hear again the rumbling voice of the thunder I smile, because it reminds me of the almighty power of the God who loves me and who is the Lord of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment