Saturday, April 28, 2018

Treasuring the Gift of Love

When you take hold of a moment and treasure it in your heart it becomes a memory. This is a gift that a child gives to their mother, moments of wonder to ponder and cherish. And when your child has a child, the wealth of these memories are exponential.

The soft, clear light of the moon peeked round my curtain this morning, announcing that the night was coming to an end and a new day was about to be born.  But since it was still dark I chose to stay cuddled under the warmth of my down comforter. Today is my granddaughter Ann's wedding day. Today, my Ann is a bride.

So, bathed in the silver moonlight I took the key of memory and unlocked the treasury of my heart. Once more I experienced the wonder of her birth. And then, as if I was riding the wind, I saw the years come and go. I heard the echo of her childish laughter. I watched with joy as she began to crawl, then take her first wobbly steps. Then, suddenly, she was opening the door and walking out into the world.

So many moments make up a day. So many days make up a week. So many weeks make up a month. So many months make up a year. But today is my granddaughter's wedding day, and my heart is holding on to moments. Treasured moments that we have shared together: Holding her hand; pushing her on the swing; having my picture taking with her in her prom dress; waving goodbye as she drives away in her first car.

Today my granddaughter is a bride. This is a day that will be filled with new moments to treasure. Today I will hold my daughter's hand in mine. Today both my daughter and I will open our hearts and treasure together the gift of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment