Monday, May 25, 2020

When Jesus Sang (Mark 14:26)

Did you know that God rejoices over you with joyful songs? “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing” (Zephaniah 3:17). On the night before Jesus gave Himself to us as our savior, He sang.

It was customary at the Passover to sing “The Hallel.” Psalms 113-118 make up the Hallel. These Psalms praise God for the various aspects of His great saving power. Psalm 118 is not only the most quoted Psalm in the New Testament, but it is possibly the song that Jesus sang with His disciples before He went out to the Mount of Olives.

“Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; for his steadfast love endures forever” (Psalm 118:1)! Enduring love, loving kindness that lasts forever, loyal love that is eternal. Listen and hear the voice of Jesus as He sings! The Psalm begins and ends with the same words like a love song that embraces the one who listens.

As Jesus sang the words of this song, He would also have been comforting Himself with the truth. He knew what He was facing as He sang, “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free. The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. The Lord is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me” (Psalm 118:5-7). Jesus had been preparing His followers for what He would suffer, and now as He sang He steadied His own heart with the words of this hymn of praise.

From the beginning of His ministry Jesus had declared that “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe in the good news” (Mark 1:15)! Jesus had not only come to proclaim the coming of God’s kingdom, He had come to set His beloved free by breaking the curse of sin and death. His steadfast love would be rejected by many, but those who were quieted by His love would find that He was the cornerstone of the kingdom.

=sharehttps https://music.apple.com/us/album/you-are-my-hiding-place/71193599?i=71193358://music.apple.com/us/album/you-are-my-hiding-place/71193599?i=71193358

No comments:

Post a Comment