Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Unremarkable Yet Loved!

Andrew had come home to attend his sister's Abigail's wedding. Her rehearsal dinner was on Signal Mountain where I grew up. I took him to see my childhood home. I showed him where the school bus dropped me off, Mrs. Shoemaker's house where the tulips and jonquils grew, Mrs. Colt's house where I would entertain her with my stories while she ironed. "This is where I watched my neighbor banding birds, this is where the biggest dogwood in the world grew,' I told Andrew,' that's were I would climb to sit among it's branches and watch my world and think deep thoughts." It was fun to share the reflections of my childhood with my son.

Every Sunday I settle into my rocking chair on my fount porch and talk to Andrew on the phone, we share what is happening in each of our lives. This week Andrew asked, "Mom, why don't you write about some of the things you shared with me last time I was there?" Andrew is the one who encouraged me to write in the first place. I had shared with him my self doubts about why would anyone want to read what I write. I am very aware that I am a basic simple model and that there isn't anything really remarkable about my life.

However, reflecting on the fact that I am unremarkable makes me marvel all the more at the truth that I have known ever since I was a little girl living at 610 Georgia Ave. I am loved by the creator of Heaven and earth! How can this be? When I was just a little girl my grandmother taught me a short simple Bible verse that has shaped my life. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

I realize that I haven't changed a great deal from the little girl who got dropped off by the bus and on her way home would stop to drink in the beauty of Mrs. Shoemaker's tulips and jonquils. I still like to entertain people with my stories. I still love the mystery of banding birds or birds in general. But I guess one thing has changed Dogwood trees just don't grow as big as they did when I was a little girl living at 610 Georgia Ave. and even if they did I don't think I could climb them like I did so long ago.

Heavenly Father, thank You that I don't have to sit among the branches of my Dogwood tree to think deep thoughts. Thank You for loving me so much that You gave Your Son so that I could have eternal life. As a simple, basic model I marvel that You would lavish Your love on me and call me Your child!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, you my friend, are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are always welcome to come to my house and tell me stories while i iron.

    ReplyDelete