Thursday, August 14, 2014

Finding Comfort

Years now separate me from that night when the darkness was like a shroud to my soul.  I had received news that like a thief had stolen all possibility of sleep from me.  I went out into the night. I was to crushed by my brokenness to stand so I lay on the concrete sidewalk and wept. I looked into the deep darkness of the night searching for light. If I could speak to my former self I would say,  "The darkness that you feel tonight might hide the light but the light still shines."

"Go ahead and cry.  Let the salt in your tears wash the wound. Cry and cry til the tears are spent. When your grief is exhausted and you enter into the stillness of the night let that stillness seep into your soul. Be still and know that the God you trust is worthy of your trust. Tonight you are aware of the darkness but I am the voice of your future and I know the truth of redemption."

The comfort I long to share with others is the comfort I have received.  If I had never known what is like to cry in the night I would not know the deep comfort that comes in the morning. I have watched my dreams shattered only to find the truth of what it means to have a redeemer. Though I have stumbled along the way I have never been hurled headlong into the abis because God has been holding my hand. True comfort is not always found in the moment. The truest comfort is found in the perspective of eternity.

As I look back on that night of brokenness I can still feel the weight of my sorrow yet with the perspective of years I can also see the gracious hand of God. Faith is to be sure of what you hope for and confident about what you don't see. Years ago I put my faith in the unfailing love of God I have chosen to base my life not on what my physical eyes can see but instead on what I believe. But sometimes I can look back on a time I walked by faith and smile because now I am a witness to what once I could only see by faith.

O Holy Comforter,  Your love is steadfast, I can never use up Your mercy,  each morning I am met with a new supply.  Though my faith my grow weak Your faithfulness never let's go. Because You are my portion l put my hope in You and find deep comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment