Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Fellowship

There is a mist that blankets the farm today. I have no doubts about what is hidden from my view.  I know the deer are grazing in the field beyond where I can see. I realize that though my eyes can only see dimly what is before me the Sun will reveal the truth of what is really there.

Today the mist reflects my feelings.  Today I will go to a memorial service for my friend.  As I sit here surrounded by this curtain that dims my view of what is before me my mind plays back the times we spent together.  She was my prayer partner. During my last pregnancy when there was a cloud of doubt surrounding the health of my unborn child she and I prayed. With eyes closed and hearts wide open we boldly went together before the throne of grace.

Walking in the mist we shared a special fellowship. Faith is being sure of what you hope for and confident of what you don't see. There is a special fellowship you share when you walk together with someone in prayer. Patti made a cross stitch picture for me that put my feelings into words.  "Fellowship is the oneness of spirit that is enjoyed by friends on the same side of the struggle."

The years passed our paths parted.  I remember clearly the last time I saw Patti not because of the depth of the conversation we had but because it was the last time we would have together.  We talked on the phone later and she told me about her illness. The last time we spoke she told me she wanted to get together and share with me the things she had learned through her suffering but that meeting never happened.

Lord Jesus,  thank you for giving me friends with whom I can have fellowship here. Thank you for letting me see beyond the mist with eyes of faith the fellowship my friend now has with you in your presence.

1 comment: