Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Temporal in Light of the Eternal

After my ophthalmologist finished his examination he said, "We need to do something to save the vision in your right eye." Since my brain surgery in September and the resulting paralysis on the right side of my face, I have been unable to blink my eye. The doctor suggested two things: stitch my upper and lower eye lids together; and he wanted to put a gold weight in my eyelid to assist my eye in blinking. Then he added, "I'm afraid this will cause your eye to look really strange. Growing older is hard isn't it?" All I could think was, "How much stranger am I going to look than I do now? And am I just on a downward spiral?"

Times like these are heartbreaking. But I know Someone who heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. I felt like I had been given a forecast for my future that was dark and bleak--including blindness, deafness and the loss of all facial identity. So I called on Someone greater than I am. I called to the Lord, who is great and abundant in power; I know that His understanding is beyond measure.

When the temporal seems unbearable I turn to the eternal. I turn to "the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; 'I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite'" (Isaiah 57:15). I gain perspective as I see the One who determines the number of the stars. The same God who has given each star it's name knows mine as well.

I have made it my choice to rejoice in hope. This isn't something I can do in my own power. Left to myself I'd just curl up in a fetal position and cry. I do cry, however, but I cry out to the God who has given me hope and has poured out His love to me through His Holy Spirit. In answer to my prayer for help I find that the God of hope also fills me with all joy and peace in believing. It is then that I experience the power of the Holy Spirit, causing me to abound in hope in spite of my circumstances.

There are several reasons I write. One is simply that I need to encourage myself. I write to remind myself of what I believe--and in the process I begin to experience again the joy and peace that comes from the Spirit of God. Secondly, I want to comfort others with the comfort I am receiving from God.
But, to be honest, it's the third reason that is my real goal: I found in God's word that He doesn't take pleasure in the strength of man, "but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love" (Psalm 147:11).  This is really my goal in life, to be someone the Lord takes pleasure in.

No comments:

Post a Comment