Monday, November 9, 2015

Some Things Just Take Time

Some things just take time. But it's so hard not to become weary or fainthearted when that thing involves suffering.

I confess, I've been struggling lately. It's not just the physical, mental and emotional struggles I've been having, but it's all the garbage these struggles have exposed in me. Since I've been uncomfortable on so many levels, I have found myself revisiting old wounds. People and situations I thought I was finished dealing with long ago have risen up like specters to haunt me. I pray the only prayer I know to pray: "Create in me a clean heart, oh Lord; and renew a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10).

Even as I breathe this prayer I see my Heavenly Father sitting close by me. He is like one who refines and purifies gold and silver. He knows how intense the flame must be to separate the dross from the molten pure metal. I know His goal is not to destroy me, but still the flames hurt. Once more I cry out, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts" (Psalm 139:23)! Confident in His love for me, I know that what He is looking for is His reflection in me. Some things just take time.

This kind of discipline or training is similar to the discipline I received when I was a child. My father loved me very much, and because I was his child he had very high standards for me. Because I knew my father's discipline was a result of his love for me, even though I really didn't like it at the time, it caused me to respect him. My father disciplined me according to his human wisdom and I respected him. How much more should I respect and submit to my Heavenly Father's discipline?

When my heart becomes weary I hear the voice of the Spirit speak to me, "My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights" (Proverbs 3:11,12). What is the end result of suffering, of endurance? It is proven character. My Heavenly Father's goal in the painful process of discipline is for my good, so that I might share in His holiness.

Some things just take time. But it's so hard not to become weary or fainthearted when that thing involves suffering. However, the peaceable fruit of righteousness that it yields is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. SARAH DEAREST, YOU ARE IN MY HEART AND PRAYERS CONSTANTLY. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU. I DO NOT WANT YOU TO SUFFER; BUT GOD HAS ALLOWED THIS.

    ReplyDelete