Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Why I worship at Christmas

The reality is that sometimes in life we go through very difficult times. The truth is that, "The High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the oppressed'" (Isaiah 57:15). I see this truth taking place as I celebrate Christmas and this is why I worship.

Christmas represents the fulfillment of the prophecy that "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in a land of darkness, a light has dawned" (Isaiah 9:2). The only One who has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, the sunrise from on high, because of God's tender mercies, has come to us from heaven. I worship at Christmas because Light has overcome the darkness.

When paradise was lost because of sin, the promise of child was given who would come and break the curse. On Christmas I celebrate the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy when he said, "a child was born for us;" not only that but, "a son will be born to us." When the angel announced Jesus' birth, he told Mary that this child to be born, this son to be given, was the Son of the Most High. The angel said that he was to be called the Son of God. The promised Messiah was also the Son of Man, born from the seed of a woman, Mary. I believe that this was the same Son of Man that the prophet Daniel saw who was to be given an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and a kingdom that will not be destroyed. Because I see these prophecies fulfilled at Christmas, I worship the God who keeps His promises.

The lie that was believed in the Garden that brought with it the curse of pain, sorrow and death was that we could be our own god. That is a burden that man was never meant to bear. At Christmas I celebrate the Messiah who alone can carry the government upon His shoulders, even as He carried the cross that bought my freedom. He is the Wonderful Counselor. The government of my life and that of my family is not on my weak shoulders but on His, and I can go to Him for counsel. Because of this blessed truth, I worship at Christmas.

At Christmas I am aware of  a Mighty God, "who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for His own advantage. Instead He emptied Himself by assuming the form of a slave, taking on the likeness of men. And when He came as a man in His external form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death -- even death on the cross" (Philippians 2: 6-8). When I consider the love of the Eternal Father who sacrificed His only begotten son so that a sinful world could have a Savior, my only response can be to worship.

At Christmas my mind is filled with wonder. My soul finds it's resting place because the Prince of Peace has come. And my spirit rejoices in Jesus Christ my Savior. The reality is that sometimes life is hard, very hard. But I also know that God is seeking someone who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. I want that to be me, and so I worship my Lord at Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment