Saturday, December 5, 2015

Imperishable Beauty

I went to the funeral of an elderly lady I had known all my adult life. In one room the family had a DVD playing that showed pictures of Mrs Robertson throughout her lifetime. I was amazed at how exquisitely beautiful she was. I had always considered Mrs. Robertson attractive, but standing there watching the flickering images before me, I realized there was a beauty I had seen in her that had never faded throughout her over ninety years. Even now as I sit here writing I remember the imperishable beauty of her gentle and quiet spirit.

J. Knox Chamblin defined gentleness as, "Sensitivity of disposition and kindness of behavior, founded on strength and prompted by love." The strength gentleness is based on doesn't come from a life of ease. When we are weary and burdened we have an invitation to come to Jesus and find rest. True gentleness is learned from Jesus who was gentle and lowly in heart. In the midst of a stressful life, union with Him produces a quiet spirit and allows us to find rest for our souls.

A woman's beauty has been appreciated since ancient times. In the book of Esther, King Ahasuerus sent out a decree that a search be made for the most beautiful young virgins in his kingdom. Even after these young women were found, they had to have twelve months of preparation. They were to have six months with the oil of myrrh and six months with the spices and ointments for women. Only after all this would the woman be allowed to go to the king. If the king delighted in her, she would be summoned by name to come to him; otherwise he would never see her again. Even if she was chosen, in time her beauty would fade.

How very different it is with Jesus; He humbled Himself and came to us. Then He invited us to come to Him just as we are, We come broken and weary and He invites us to find rest in Him. He doesn't require that we come with a gentle and quiet spirit; He invites us to come just as we are so that we can learn what we need to know from Him. This unfading beauty is a gift we receive from Him, not a gift we give to Him.

We are told to let our gentleness be seen by all because the Lord is near. Mrs. Robertson did that, and she was and is precious in the sight of God. Now when I think about her, I remember, and my mind is filled with her imperishable beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment