Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Even to the End of Time

The microphone was passed from person to person. Each shared with the congregation the blessings of the week. The last one to take the microphone told how, though an accident had taken place, her loved one had been spared. She concluded her praise with the words, "God is good." As I sat there, the room began to fade and I was taken back in memory to another April morning where I had heard another woman say the words "God is good."

I was not far from my home when it happened. The crash was so sudden I barely missed being part of it. The woman in the car in front of me had been killed. When the police came, my car was encircled by the yellow tape designating the scene of the accident. So I was there when the family gathered.

The grief was tangible; the sorrow brought with it a solemn silence. The silence was broken by a voice that whispered, "God is good." Each person repeated the proclamation until finally the woman beside me turned to me, and with her eyes looking directly into my eyes, she said firmly, "God is good. All the time God is good."

Their words of faith were transcendent. For a brief holy moment it seemed as if the curtains of Heaven were pulled back. I saw a brilliant light; a sapphire throne encircled by a rainbow. The beauty of the rainbow was the result of the light of His presence penetrating the tears of the saints.

The God this grieving family proclaimed as good was acquainted with their sorrows and knew the taste of tears. By His stripes they found healing for their souls. By His blood He purchased for them eternal life. They had put their faith in Jesus and He had given them a blessed hope. The promise was that "They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will exist no longer, grief, crying, and pain will exist no longer, because the previous things have passed away. The One seated on the throne said, 'Look! I am making everything new'" (Revelation 21:3-5).

All the time, even to the end of time, God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment