Saturday, November 26, 2016

Beyond the Horizon

Look beyond the horizon where time and eternity meet. If you are in need of encouragement look there.

I have been preparing the classes that I will be teaching on Daniel this January. One of the ways I've been studying is to read and listen to the visions Daniel had until I can picture them in my mind. Then when I have trouble sleeping I review the visions that Daniel had when he was lying on his bed while I'm lying in my bed. I picture the four winds of the heaven stirring up the great sea. I watch the panorama of world kingdoms parade before me until One who is like a son of man comes with the clouds and approaches the Ancient of Days.

I find courage as I contemplate the now but not yet of the everlasting kingdom. Wrapped in the darkness of the night I let the promise bathe my mind that the kingdom, dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under all of heaven will be given to the people, the holy ones of the Most High God. I am aware of wars and rumors of war, yet my hope has found its anchor beyond the veil where the Prince of Peace reigns. "His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and His kingdom is one that will not be destroyed" (Daniel 7:14).

My studies take me beyond the seventh chapter in Daniel as I compare the visions there to the ones I find in Revelation 12 and 13. Again, reading and listening to these chapters until I can see them with my mind's eye, I am aware of the kingdom of God that is both present and yet future. I recognize both the victory that has been given but the battle that must still be fought as well. The battle against the ancient enemy who accuses the saints before the throne of God day and night is won by "the blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony" (Revelation 12:11).

To look beyond the horizon to where time and eternity meet is to understand that, though the battle we fight is real, the victory has already been attained. Here we find endurance. Here we find what we hope for. And here we place our confidence in what we do not yet see.

No comments:

Post a Comment