Thursday, August 3, 2017

A Lamp Not A Candle

Though they both give light there is a difference between a candle and a lamp.

From the instant a candle is lit it begins to consume itself. The darkness is expelled, yes; the light is given, yes; but it is only a matter of time before the candle wax begins to drip and the candle becomes less and less. As long as there is candle to burn there will be light. But the time will come when the candle is consumed. When that time comes there will be one last flicker, one last gasp of light, and then darkness will reign.

When a lamp is lit the light it produces does not come from the lamp itself, but from the oil that it is filled with. As long as the lamp is being filled with oil the lamp will give light. The lamp is not consumed by the flame, because the purpose of the lamp is to hold the oil.

As a Christian I am called to be a light in a dark world. I have tried to produce that light in my own strength. In my desire to reach out to hurting people I have known what is like to be a candle. I wanted to give light, and for a time I was successful. But after a while my strength was spent. The light was gone, and both I and the one I wanted to help were plunged into darkness.

However, I have also known what is like to be a lamp. When I humble myself and recognize that I am not the source of the light but simply the vessel that contains the oil, then the light comes. The light that comes from the lamp truly illuminates the darkness. This light takes you beyond what mortal eyes can see. The light shine as long as the lamp is filled with oil. The One who provides the oil is always willing to fill the lamp.

                                                          He Giveth More Grace

He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

Annie J. Flint

https://youtu.be/93D1S0BztJ8

No comments:

Post a Comment