Friday, September 22, 2017

My Life is Like This

I was running late. The van was packed with grand-kids. There were two teenage boys in the back, two car-seats in the middle and my granddaughter in the seat beside me. That's when I saw it. A car was turned on its side in the ditch. As I whisked past I thought I might have seen someone in the driver's seat.

"Mimi! You're not just going to keep on going are you!?" Here, my dear readers, I will confess my heart to you. I was running late. The van was packed with grand-kids. Not only that, but as I whisked past I thought the woman in the driver's seat might have had a phone in her hand. I had more to do than I had time to do it in. Nevertheless, I did turn the van around and go back to check and see if I could be of help.

As I slipped into my bed that night I was exhausted. In my mind I began to review the events of the day. I was supposed to teach a class, but found out instead I had a doctor's appointment so I had to cancel my class. I had planned to do several things around the house, but by the time I got home from town there was no time left. In fact, a great deal of what I had planned to do ended up needing to be changed.

I closed my eyes and smiled as I remembered the verse I wrote across my to-do list. "Man makes his plans, but the Lord directs his steps" (Proverbs 16:9.) I blanketed my mind with peace as I humbled myself and surrendered  to the Lordship of my God. It was then that the words from Jeremiah came to me. "I remember the devotion of your youth, your love as a bride, how you followed me in the wilderness, in a land not sown" (Jeremiah 2:2). "Ah, Sovereign Lord!' I prayed, 'this is how I want to live, totally surrendering my will to yours!"

As the sweetness of sleep came I heard yet another verse I had been memorizing whisper to my spirit. "What is this coming up from the wilderness like columns of smoke, scented with myrrh and frankincense from every fragrant powder of the merchant?" (Song of Songs 3:6). Yes, yes, I thought as I drifted off to sleep; life is very much like a wilderness to me. But, oh, how sweet to be led by columns of smoke and the fragrant presence of my Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment