Monday, November 26, 2018

A Life Full of Days

I did the math and was surprised to find that the “ripe old age” that David died at was less than five years older than I am! This stopped me in my tracks. It seems like most of my life is lived in a mad dash focusing more on where I’m going than where I am at the moment. My next thought was that if I will be reaching the age that the Bible considers a full life within the next five years, I should make a five year plan. But wait a minute. Wasn’t my response a continuation of looking more into the future than gazing at the present?

I looked again at the verse that told about when David died, and I was struck by the phrase that he had lived his life, “full of days.” What would my life look like if I focused more on the days of my life than I did the years of my life? God revealed Himself to Moses as “I Am.” In Revelations we are offered grace and peace from, "the One who is, and was, and is to come” (Revelations 1:4)"

There is grace and peace from the One who is, but what else can I discover if I live in the present? “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1). I wonder if I sometimes miss the refuge and strength, grace and peace of the day because I’m focused on the worries of tomorrow?

I find a blessing in Deuteronomy 33:25, “As your days so shall your strength be.” Now here is my question, can I claim that blessing too? I think it is available if I ask for it. I think perhaps this is what is meant when Jesus taught us that in prayer we are to ask for “daily bread.”

So, here I am at the dawning of a new day, watching the sun rise and filled with the knowledge of my inadequacies. Do I really believe in a God who calls Himself  “I Am”? Do I really believe that there is “grace and peace” for me from the “One who is”? Is God really my “refuge and strength”? Is He “a very present help in trouble” and can I trust Him to provide the strength that I need for this day? He told me to ask for “daily bread,” and so I will. I will also ask that when my days come to an end, whether it’s five or twenty five years from now, that each day will be full and satisfying. I pray that I might live each day in communion with the One who is. Because isn’t daily communion the same as daily bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment