Friday, November 2, 2018

Come With Me (Mark 1:1)

I arose early in the morning to climb the mountain with Moses. I read. I studied. I saw the glory of the Lord as it rested on Mount Sinai. For days, weeks, and months I studied with my heart wide open. I didn’t just want to study it with my mind; I didn’t want to simply see with the eyes of my imagination; I wanted to bathe my spirit in the light and inhale the fragrance of the incense and taste both the bread and the wine of God’s presence. In this place where the eternal God made His dwelling with man I saw Jesus Christ.

I listened with Moses and inhaled the very breath of God. I saw and received the invitation to the feasts of God. Hour upon hour I poured over the words that I found in Leviticus 23. I saw the appointed times of the Lord. I looked at the celebration that began in the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at twilight, with the Lord’s Passover. I opened each invitation until I came to the feast of tabernacles. When I came to the last and greatest day of the feast I found myself in Jerusalem. I saw Jesus as He stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.” In every feast that I had studied I had seen a picture of Jesus. In response to His invitation I cried out,” Fill my cup Lord!”

Next, my studies took me to the Island of Patmos. I was there with John when he was in the spirit on the Lord’s day and he heard a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet. I listened to the message that was given to the churches. I found myself praying that I would have ears to hear, that my heart would be tender, and that I would repent of the sins that I saw exposed in the churches. I also heard with John the voice that sounded like a trumpet saying, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after these things.” And so, with John, I went all the way to the end of time and heard the Spirit and the bride say, "Come.” I have heard the invitation to the one who is thirsty to come and take and drink the water of life without cost. I heard with John Jesus say, “Yes, I am coming quickly.” And everything within me cried, “Come, Lord Jesus!”

Year after year I have studied. I have taught the Word of God. I have looked through the eyes of Moses and listened with his ears to the instruction of the Most High God. I drew the visions that were given to John in Revelation because I wanted to see the visions too. What followed was a simple childlike desire to simply see Jesus. I wanted to encounter Him through the eyes and heart of Peter.

Would you like to come with me and travel in the well-worn sandals of Peter? Would you like to come and have the mystery revealed to you as it was to him? Would you like to see light penetrating the darkness? Do you need hope in the storms of your life? Do you need to hear good news? If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, then join me as I travel back in time to “The beginning of the good news of Jesus Christ, the Son of God” (Mark 1).

1 comment: