Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sarita, the Eight Cow Wife

I came home the other day and discovered a package on my kitchen counter. I opened the box and found a mug that said,"I love how we don't even need to say out loud that I'm your favorite child." Of course, the box contained no note. I have four children. I can narrow it down a little because on the mug is the picture of a little girl with her mother and I don't think my son would have chosen that picture.

Yesterday I was with a friend and she told me she wanted to have a T shirt made that said, "I'm the one that Jesus loves." She had been studying and the way John always referred to himself. I had always been a little uncomfortable that John was referred to as the beloved. I always felt that just as his mother had asked Jesus if John could hold a prominent place in the Kingdom now John was claiming a prominent place in his relationship with Jesus. But was he? Was his comparing the way Jesus loved him to the way Jesus loved the other disciples or just stating the fact that Jesus loved him.

Something changes inside a person when they know they are loved. I remember the story of Johnny Lingo who lived on Nurabandi Islands in the Pacific Islands. He had a reputation throughout the islands for being skilled, intelligent and savvy. So everyone thought he'd lost his mind when he chose for his bride a woman who was considered homely and then offered her father eight cows when a good dowry for a beautiful woman was only two cows.

A man who had heard this story about Johnny Lingo's wife was surprised when he met Sarita. He expected to see the plain, skinny, hunched shoulders woman who kept her head ducked low because she was afraid of her own shadow. Instead when Sarita walked in the room she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. The lift of her shoulders, the tilt of her chin, and the sparkle in her eyes all spelled self-confidence and pride. Not an arrogant and haughty pride, but a confident inner beauty that radiated in her every movement. What made the difference  Johnny knew that the value you put on a person greatly affects the way they value themselves. (based partially on an article found in Reader's Digest)

Lord Jesus, when I simply look at myself I tend to hunch my shoulders and lower my eyes but You are the lifter of my head. You have chosen to not only lavish Your love on me but have also given Your life for me. Although I wouldn't call myself your favorite child I would call myself one whom you love and that is enough to change the course of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment