Friday, April 26, 2013

Sharing Dreams, Sharing Truth

The Bible teaches that the interpretation of dreams belongs to God but sometimes the message is just obvious. Last night I had a series of dreams and the theme wasn't hard to miss. Every dream I had pointed to the same thing a since of feeling inadequate. The dreams seemed to following me around like a cloud and I had to decided to call someone and share them. Just as I picked up my home phone my cell phone rang these are the words I heard, "Sarah, can I tell you about my dream?"

My friend and I had something more in common than just wanting to find someone we could trust to share our dreams with. For me it was because a year ago this week both Ma Belle and Papa died. I've spent this week doing the final cleaning preparing the house for it's new occupants. In the last six months my friend has lost her little sister, her mother and now her aunt. I think for both of us God gave us dreams to help us be honest with the deep feeling grief can stir up.

My friend not only shared her dreams but also the paralyzing effect of the emotions of grief. When I shared with her my dreams what I was really doing was being honest with another human being about the deep since of inadequacy that I feel. The Bible teaches that knowing the truth sets you free it also points out that truth is the first part of a Christians armor. I think what God did for both of us through our dreams was to give us a mirror so we could see clearly how we felt and then give us a friend to encourage us to look beyond our emotions to the truth.

As I thought about this belt of truth I thought about the Gait Belt we used to help Ma Belle with as she grew weaker and weaker. The Gait Belt is used to transfer people from one position to another when they are unable to move on their on. After my friend and I shared our emotions honestly we prayed together. We each felt the truth of God Word lifting us and filling us with His strength to do what we could not do in our own strength.

Lord Jesus, I come to You just as I am aware of who I am and who I'm not. Thank You for the truth that You are the Savior. You came to, "proclaim liberty to the captive and recovering the sight to the blind and to bind up the brokenhearted." (Luke 4:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment