Tuesday, April 16, 2013

To All Who, Like Me, Are Insignifigant

"Frankly, I find you to be nothing but a bore." He spoke these words with ice cold indifference. The words left his mouth and became a haunting spirit in my mind. "You are nothing, you are nothing, you are nothing! The thoughts you treasure the words you speak are nothing but an irritation and a source of boredom to those you choose to inflict them on."

"Frankly, I find you to be nothing but a bore." The words became a veil over my eyes through which I looked at my life. The power these words had over me was that suddenly I wanted to find a place where I could hide. I felt a deep since of shame that I had thought that I had something to share when the truth was that I was simply inflicting my boring self on others around me.

I believe this haunting spirit came as a thief only to steal and to kill and to destroy. If his was the only voice I heard my soul would shrivel up and die but I hear another voice. "God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, the despised in the world, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." (1 Corinthians 1:28)

"Frankly, I find you to be nothing but a bore." At first when these words hit their mark I thought, "I am never going to write again instead I'm going to find a hole in the ground to hide." But then I took these thoughts captive and put on the helmet of salvation. I decided to look at Jesus instead of myself and changed the pain of these words into a praise. Even though I am nothing, even though I am insignificant, I am loved by the God of the Universe.

Lord Jesus, I choose fight these thoughts of my own nothingness and insignificance with the truth that I find in Your Word. The truth I find in Your Word is that You have chosen to love me with an everlasting love not because of who I am but because of who You are. I choose to find my identity in the truth that You love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment