Monday, April 15, 2013

Haunting Questions

"What are the big questions,' the radio host said,' that wake you in the night and greet you first thing in the morning?" Suddenly there they were before me like unbidden, unwanted house guests. Long after the radio host had gone home, had his dinner, tucked his children in bed, kissed his wife and turned off the light, I was attempting to deal with the "Big Questions" who seemed like they were settling in for a extended stay.

It didn't take long to recognize that these "Big Questions" were really just my doubts and my fears and my failures haunting me again. There was no part of my life they didn't attack. For a while I just let them bind me taking me captive but then I remembered the only power they had over me was the power I gave them.


Suddenly I realized that all my doubts, fears and failures that were posing as the “Big Questions” in my life were causing me to look only at myself and who I am what I have or have not been able to accomplish in my life. But then I remembered something I had memorized long ago. At first it was only a whisper but when I chose to listen to what was being said the whisper became louder and louder. “You keep in him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” (Isaiah 26:3)

 It was then I began to match my “Big Questions” with the promises I found in God’s word. The more I focused on His love the less power my fears had over me. When my mind was filled with His promises there wasn't room my doubts and failure.  Finally, I understood that the “Big Question” was really, “Am I putting my trust in God or in myself?”

Lord Jesus, I find in You the answer to all my doubts, fears and failures. The knowledge that I find when my mind is stayed on You rescues me and brings me peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment