Friday, July 26, 2013

In the Clefts of the Rock, In the Crannies of the Cliff

She was hiding behind a wall of self consciousness even though he had sought her out with words of love. She wanted to be loved but like a dove she hid herself in the clefts of a rock. She was afraid and weak and timorous. Because she was more aware of who she was than who he was, she hid.

"O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the crannies of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely." ( Song of Solomon 2:14) Whenever I become to self focused I find it hard to leave my hiding places. Yet even in my secret places of self contempt I hear the voice of Jesus inviting me to come boldly to the throne of grace.

"Let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet" and I respond, "It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night." (Psalm 91:1-2) Whenever I respond to the love that God has lavished on me by turning my eyes away from my unworthiness towards Him my heart is lifted. I become like one who has been set free.

I woke this morning while it was still dark. I sat in the pre-dawn coolness letting my heart respond to the steadfast love of God with praise. My thought and words of praise became a lamp shining in the darkness waiting for the day to dawn. Wrapped in the awareness of God's love through praise I was aware of the morning star arising in my heart.

Lord Jesus, You have invited me to begin my day with words of praise and thanksgiving drawing my attention away from my unworthiness to look instead at Your unfailing love. In the evening You call to me to remember Your faithfulness and rest in the shadow of Your wing. Forgive me for the fear my self focus brings. Help me today to lift both my face and voice to You in praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment