Sunday, July 7, 2013

My Grandmother Taught Me

"Southern women don't sweat, they glisten." My grandmother was a southern woman and she took her role of raising me to be a gentle, strong southern lady very, very seriously! From the time I was a young girl she began to train me in what was correct and what was not correct. It was as if she was teaching me to dance to the music of the South. The music was inaudible to those who hadn't been trained to hear it and the dance steps could seem odd and old fashion to those who couldn't hear the music.

Grandmother had studied elocution at the university. She knew the art of effective public speaking. Because my grandmother was a southern lady she spoke with a gentle style and with grace. Imperative requests seemed rude but I do remember the times when my grandmother became very bold in her communication.

Grandmother not only took her role of raising me to be a gentle, strong Southern lady seriously she was also serious about teaching me what it meant to be a Christian. Grandmother believed the Bible when she read, "You don't have because you don't ask God for it." (James 4:2) Grandmother spent hours on her knees pouring out her imperative requests before the throne of God. I know because I was watching.

"Do not let you adorning be external--the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing--but let your adornment be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is in God's sight very precious." (1 Peter 3:3,4) I believe this kind of beauty happens when you understand that you have an invitation to come boldly before the throne of grace. Grandmother taught me to understand my heritage as a southern lady but more importantly she taught me, "how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves." (1 Peter 3:5)

Father, now it's my turn to be a grandmother. Please help to pass onto the next generation the things that were passed onto to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment