Saturday, July 13, 2013

Part of a Bigger Story

I was asked to lead creative writing at camp last week. The theme of each session was that we are part of a bigger story. The last assignment came from my reading about Hezekiah. "Hezekiah trusted in the LORD God of Israel; not one of the kings of Judah was like him, either before him or after him." (2 Kings 18:5) Yet, when he was thirty nine years old he became terminally ill and the prophet Isaiah came to him with this message from God, "This is what the LORD says: 'Put your affairs in order, for you are about to die; you will not recover.'" (2 Kings 20:1) The question I asked was, "How would you respond if this was a message you heard from God?"

When I picked up my pencil to write the memory flooded back into my mind;

Whenever I went to visit my little sister I would smile at her three sons who were four and under. They had the ability to make the room seem more like a three ring circus than a living room. Ah, but then Steve, their daddy, would come home. He would change from his suite into clothes suitable for a romp on the floor with his boys.

"Ya'll go out and enjoy the evening they're mine for the night." A backward glance was all I needed. The Daddy was covered with his children and his face was covered with a smile.

He was a picture of health, so much so that he had been asked to be a model. He was keenly intelligent and at the age of thirty three he was already a partner in a CPA firm. He was thirty three. He was only thirty three. It was a fast growing cancer. I had seen him that Spring laughing, a boy riding on each of his legs and one in his arms, but in August two weeks before his wife, my sister, turned thirty he was dead.

I was with Trisha when she came home. I watched as she walked to the refrigerator and took the postcard someone had sent her. The postcard read, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) I held my breath and wondered how she would respond. She paused and the said, "The plan God had for Steve was Heaven but I believe that the plans He has for me are for wholeness and not evil, to give me a future and a hope."

Lord, there are somethings that happen that I just don't understand and I believe can only make since with an eternal perspective. Please help me to follow my little sister's example and trust in Your promise even if my heart is broken.

2 comments:

  1. Very moving Sarah. Very real. Very much a mystery to us as humans as to why these things happen. Keep up the good work trying to explain it to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement Tom. I think that sometimes life only makes since when you view it with an eternal perspective.

      Delete