Tuesday, July 23, 2013

" but who can survive a broken spirit?"

It happens. Sometimes it happens. The wall is breached or something inside shatters and suddenly the questions and the doubts come unbidden, unwelcome and yet they come. "What if there is no God? What if it's all just a farce, a fairy tale, make believe?" With these questions comes a smothering darkness. A darkness so great that it is able to break the spirit of a man. "Who can survive a broken spirit?" (Proverbs 18:14)

When the spirit is broken the light of the eyes is extinguished we find ourselves stumbling in the darkness, shrouded by a since of hopeless futility, groping for something to hold onto. This is the place where the spirit is broken and the heart is sick and the question is asked, "Is there hope?"

A heart and spirit that has been bruised and broken needs a physician. Someone who is lost needs to be found. When Jesus came to seek and to save the lost he also came as the great physician but he came gently as a man of sorrows who was acquainted with grief. He reached out and touched blind eyes. He found those broken not only in body but in soul and mind and healed them.

I am one who has been found. I am one who has been healed. The message I bring is one of hope. The hope I have I have been given. I did not find God but He found me. He spread His healing wing around me and comforted by His presence I rested in His love and breathed in His Spirit.

Thank You Jesus for coming and finding me when I couldn't find You. Thank You that You did not stand aloof appalled by my sin and the sickness of my soul but instead You came and brought healing. Please show me how to represent You well in my generation reaching out a gentle hand to those in need. Please let me be a vessel through which Your light can shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment