Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Story Behind the Picture

It was a small black and white picture in a little photo album but the story it told was so very powerful.

Once upon a time a little girl went to live with her Aunt Rubye when she was eighteen months old. She was cocooned by the love of Aunt Rubye and Uncle Ralph. On Sunday Uncle Ralph would preach and Aunt Rubye would gently whisper to her niece while turning her to face the pulpit, "Listen, God is wanting to speak to you." In their home the little girl was safe and secure and happy but she couldn't stay there.

The small black and white picture in the little photo album is of Aunt Ruby standing in front of the little girl's picture praying. If Aunt Rubye could have kept her niece in the safety of her own home she would have, but she couldn't. The same Aunt Rubye who taught the little girl to listen to God also spoke to God on her behalf. She understood what it felt like to have your heart broken but she also knew what it meant to turn you face to the only one who could help.

Aunt Rubye rejoiced in hope praying while the tears flowed freely. Her confidence and expectation were solidly based in the God to whom she directed her prayers. She had learned long ago to hear his voice. She had learned to be patient in tribulation and to be constant in prayer and so night after night she kept her vigil.

I too am part of this story because that little girl grew up to be my friend. She has shared her story with me in small doses because with the story came the memory of so much pain. But the story I see in my friend is one of redemption. I marvel at the grief my friend encountered as a child because today she is one of the most godly women I know. For almost forty years we have walked together as friends. I am a witness to God's faithful answer to Aunt Rubye's prayers.

Father, thank you for Aunt Rubye. Please help me to follow her example. When I am faced with the things that break my heart help me to remember to rejoice in hope and be patient in tribulation. Please remind me Father to always be faithful to lift my face and my prayers to You because You are faithful to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment