Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Honor Challenge

"The cinnamon challenge is a viral internet challenge. The objective of the challenge is to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds without drinking anything, then upload the video to the Internet. The challenge is extremely difficult and carries substantial health risks because the cinnamon coats and dries the mouth and throat, resulting in coughing, gagging, vomiting and inhaling of cinnamon, leading to throat irritation, breathing difficulties, and risk of pneumonia." This is what I found on Wikipedia when I typed in cinnamon challenge.

Yesterday morning I woke up with a Bible verse going through my mind, actually I've been thinking about it for sometime now, but yesterday it was like a challenge. "Outdo one another in showing honor." (Romans 12:10) I decided to take the challenge, I mean how hard could it be to outdo someone in showing honor and for that matter how hard can it be to swallow a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds? Some challenges are more difficult than they appear.

The first problem I encountered in my "Honor Challenge" was that no sooner had I decided to did it out of nowhere a parade of people who have offended me appeared in my mind. This was very frustrating because the very thought of them made me angry! Then into my negative thoughts came, "Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."(Romans 12:9,10) My simple prayer response was, "Surely, God this can't apply to them!"

This morning I watched someone I know taking the cinnamon challenge. I watched as his face turned red and tears shoot out of his eyes, I didn't know tears could shoot out of someones face like that! This morning I have had the opportunity to put someones needs ahead of my own and I identified with the young man swallowing the cinnamon. As I continue with the "Honor Challenge" I continue to recognize my need of the transforming power of God.

Lord, I thought my love was more genuine than it is but when I try to honor others above myself the truth comes out. I can't do this in my own strength, anymore than I could swallow a spoon full of cinnamon without water in 60 seconds. Thank for Your promise that if I ask anything according to Your will I can be sure that You hear me and will give me my request.

No comments:

Post a Comment