Saturday, September 21, 2013

What Would It Look Like?

I've been thinking about something lately and wondering what it would look like if I really put into practice what I'm reading.

I'm studying in Philippians and I came to the verse that says, "You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had." From there it goes on to tell how Jesus didn't cling to his equality with God. Instead he gave up his divine privileges and took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. It didn't stop there because he humbled himself in obedience to God and died. He died a criminal's death on the cross. So, what would it look like in my life if I had this same attitude of humility?

Yesterday as I continued to meditate on, "What would it really look like if I had the same attitude as Christ Jesus?" I read Isaiah 53. I read it in the morning and right before I went to bed last night. This morning I woke thinking about it. "Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God's path to follow our own. Yet the LORD laid on him the sins of us all." (Isaiah 53:4-6) So, what would it look like in my life if I had the same attitude as Christ Jesus and I was willing to love my enemy and do good to those who hurt me?

This is another thing I've been thinking about, one of the themes in Philippians is joy. So where was Jesus' joy when, "He was led like a lamb to the slaughter...unjustly condemned...struck down for the rebellion of my people...buried like a criminal...crushed." (Isaiah 53:9-11) I found the answer in Hebrews 12:2 "Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding the shame." So what would my life be like if I had the same attitude as Christ Jesus and I looked beyond the moment and lived my life based on eternity?

There are those in history who have chosen to live their lives this way. Hebrews 12:1 says the world wasn't worthy of them it also says they are a "huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith." I find in Hebrews 12 what it would look like if I really chose to have the same attitude as Christ Jesus. It would mean that I chose to run with endurance the race that God set before me just like Jesus did. It would also mean that I kept my eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects my faith.

Lord I want to obey Your word and have the same attitude as Christ Jesus. I am not naturally humbly, I don't find it natural to love my enemies but I do believe that if Your words commands me to do something You will give me the ability to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment