Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Recieved

I recieved a package from my son. He had giveinterestingone of his books. When I opened the book a letter fell out it said, "Mom, I found this book interesting and I wanted to share it with you." The title of the book was familar we had talked it about during our weekly phone conversations. I was flattered that my son had wanted to share his thoughts with me but I was intimidated by the book

As time went on the book traveled with me I moved it from place to place always within reach but never opened. When I would see the cover of the book I felt both longing and guilt. I recognized that my son was inviting me into his world by giving me this book. It was his copy, he had written notes in it. But still I was afraid to even open it, afraid that I would find that I couldn't unnderstand what was being said.

On a recent visit with my son he asked, "Mom, did you ever read the book I sent you?" I answered honestly. He didn't respond with condemntion but I also couldn't miss the hint of disappointment in his voice. That night I lay in bed wrapped in a deep since of regret. Why had I allowed my feeling of inadaquacy to keep me from recieving this special gift. I determined that night that when I got home I would finally recieve the gift that had been given me. I would enter my son's world through the pages of his book.

As I thought about this experience I was reminded of many conversations I've had with people who have told me the trouble they've had reading the Bible. Most of the people who have told me this don't just have one copy but many and in more than one translation yet they can't seem to bring themselves to read it. God tells us that his word is a "lamp to our feet and a light for our path." (Psalm 119:105) This is something we crave yet still the book remains closed. The Bible also gives the promise that those who read it will be, "complete and equipped for every good word." (2 Timothy 3:17) These are the gifts that are waiting to be recieved, an invitation to have our path illlumined, to be made complete and to be equipped for every good work.

Father, You have given us Your word and through it You have shared Your thoughts with us. We know that if the book remains closed we have not truely recieved the gift that You desire to give us. Help us to open the book have communion with you within it's pages

No comments:

Post a Comment