Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Into the Deep Waters

In the shallow water my feet can touch the bottom and I feel safe. I feel like I'm in control. Often while in the shallow water I invite God to join me in what I'm doing. My prayers revolve around the things I see and feel and touch. While wading in the shoal I hear an invitation, "Come with me into the deep waters."

What would it mean for me to accept this invitation? Would I be in control of the direction my life would take if I put out into the deep waters/ When Jesus invited Peter to put out into the deep Peter informed him that he had spent all night fishing and had caught nothing yet he accepted Jesus' invitation. Somehow with Jesus in the deep waters Peter was changed. If I accept this invitation to go into the deep waters will I find that like Peter I am being invited to join Jesus in what He's doing instead of inviting Jesus to join me in what I'm doing.

Sometimes I feel that if God invites me to follow Him into deep waters it should be a pleasant trip yet I vividly remember the story of when Jesus invited Peter to get into the boat and go to the other side. That trip into deep waters included a storm. If I were Peter I would have been praying for smooth sailing but Jesus used the storm to take Peter from fear to faith. The storm showed Peter that Jesus was Lord of the wind and the waves. Jesus was inviting Peter to do something more than just go from one side of the shore to the next.

If I give up the security of shallow waters and accept the call to go into deep waters do I at least get to keep the security of being in a boat? What happened to Peter when he stepped out of the boat because Jesus had said, "Come"? Peter found with his eyes focused on Jesus that waves became something that you walk on.

Lord Jesus, I want to follow You and exchange my shallow self centered prayers into deep God centered prayers. I want to exchange fear for faith and instead of asking You to join me in what I'm doing I want to join You in what your doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment