Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sharing Comfort

I woke at five this morning hearing the word, "Comfort my people." I turned over and went back to sleep thinking, "Who am I to comfort anyone? " For several days I had been battling depression. An hour later I woke with the same message. "Comfort my people." I got up.

As I sat in a rocking chair on my front porch letting the gentle breeze of morning blow away some of the sorrows I had wrestled with in the night I spoke words of comfort to myself. I watched the horses quietly grazing in the field and listened to the birds singing a message I couldn't interpret.

I listened in the silence to the word of God. I did not turn away from the comfort I was offered. I read the first book of Acts where Jesus told his disciples to wait for the promise of the Father.  The promise was fulfilled in the person of the Holy Spirit. In the quiet of the morning sitting on my own front porch the Spirit spoke to my soul the comfort and the truth of coming Kingdom.

I was still letting these thoughts bathe my mind when my husband came to bring me the phone. My friend had called telling me about an assignment she'd been given. She was to find a place of comfort in her mind a place to go when the stresses of life closed in on her. The place she had chosen was to sit with me on my front porch.

Lord, I know what it is to be comforted by Your Spirit to be taught eternal truth. I know how to tell my downcast soul the truth. Please let me share with others the comfort You have shared with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment